Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Migrating Data from MySQL

Hello

I am looking for a way to migrate my data from a MySQL database to a SQL2005 Express data base. All of my MySQL Schemas only have 1 or 2 tables in them so I would imagine that it isn't that hard to do. I treid just exporting it to a CSV file with the intention of just using import/export in MSSQL but in the express edition, it ain't there. Like I stated all of my schemas are only 1 or two tables none are linked in any way they are independant table and the most records any one of the tables contain is around 250. Any suggestions?

hi,

as you already found, SQLExpress does not provide import/export tools, but you can rely on the underlying fundametals of the engine it self to perform such a kind of operation..

you can, for instance, perform a bulk insert as indicated in http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=723808&SiteID=1, or directly using BCP

additional "modes" are indicated in http://blogs.msdn.com/euanga/archive/2006/07/20/672272.aspx

regards

|||I don't mean to sound like a total dummy but I sort of understand what is being said and there is some really good round about information but, it just isn't getting me there. I have a table right now for example that I exported in CSV format from MySQL that has 6 columns and 203 rows. If I create this same table in SQL2005 Express, how do I bring that data into my SQL 2005 database. Admittedly my experience level with SQL and Scripting is not quite beginner but I wouldn't consider myself intermediate either. Could you dumb it down for me a little?|||Hi,

I was in the process of trying to load data into a SQL Express DB with bcp see
Unable to open BCP host data-file
when I ran across this post. I read the above linked articles. The DTSwizard seems to only want to add a new table where bcp will load data into an existing table using a format file.
I have used bcp to load data in SQL Server 2000 but am having trouble with SQL Server 2005 Express. We are planning to purchase the standard version of SQL Server 2005, but I was wanting to get some feel for 2005 it until the $$$ actually come through. Isn't that what Express version is for?

Any help?|||hi

a way to migrate is you import into Access and afzer them you build in SQL-Express the Table structure and import via ODBC the dates into the new table.

I have this do somtimes from MySQL to acces and then to SQLExpress 2005 and vice versa

sincerly
Helmi|||hi

a way to migrate is you import into Access and afzer them you build in

SQL-Express the Table structure and import via ODBC the dates into the

new table.

I have this do somtimes from MySQL to acces and then to SQLExpress 2005 and vice versa

sincerly

Helmi|||This sounds like it would be a good option. I was exploring the possibility of doing that, I even went so far as to import my tables in to Access however, I don't see a way to bring the data over into SQL express. Someone had mentioned using the DTS wizard but unless I am missing something, it isn't included in SQL 2005 express.|||The links above reference a utility
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn\DTSWizard.exe"

It doesn't work for me because it seems to create the table definitions from the data file and I already have that part done.|||Nevermind I figure out how the Access option works. That was the ticket. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment