Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Migrating database

Can anyone tell me how I can migrate database from one server to another
I need to migrate all the tables, stored procedures, functions and so on

thank youYou can use the Copy Database Wizard to achieve this. See BOL for more info.

As you are moving the database to a new server, you will have to manually delete the data and log files on the old server once the copy process has completed.|||Can anyone tell me how I can migrate database from one server to another
I need to migrate all the tables, stored procedures, functions and so on

thank you

As noted earlier, you can use the Copy Database Objects wizard. Or:

1. You can load a backup of your database onto the new database (you will have to manually add in SQL Logins and resynch those logins with the users in the new database).

2. You can detach the old database, copy over the .mdf and .ldf files and then attach it to a new server (again, you will have to manually handle SQL Logins and synch them to the new db).

Regards,

hmscott|||I dont want to detach the old database. That needs to stay the way it is. Can I just copy over all the tables, sp, views and fns along with the logins. Would it work that way. I know its going to be a lot of work but it seems like the simplest way to go without making changes to the old database

No comments:

Post a Comment