Monday, March 26, 2012

Migrating A SQL 7 DB to SQL 2005

We are planning on upgrading a SQL 7 Server to 2005 SP1. I ran the Update Advisor and one of the issues listed was that the Database Maintenance Plan would not work in Server 2005. The Advisor mentions a tool to use but not which one, which is my first question.

I went online and found some documentation regarding copying the database etc., however, when attempting to copy from the SQL 2000 (DB in SQL 7) to 2005 (I have SQL 2000 and 2005 on my machine) when I try and connect to the 2005 box, its listed as one of the instances but will not connect.

For grins and kicks I backed the database up in the 2000 environment and restored it on a test machine which is in 2005. The Advisor was correct, I am unable to create a Database Maintenance Plan, which I find odd. The Database shows up under the databases but will not show up in the list of db's to create a plan for. So, I attempted to create the jobs and alerts manually.

There has to be an easier way to do this, can anyone help?

Carolyn,
Try the Setup and Upgrade forum instead. You'll have better luck there.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=95&SiteID=1|||Thread moved from SSIS forum...|||I figured out how to get around this issue. I copied the databases using the wizard in 2000 between sql 7 and 2000, than I migrated the sql 7 db's into 2000. Once the db's are in 2000, open the server management suite in 2005 create a move package and move the dbs into 2005. If the package is created in 2005, you can create a db maintenance plan. I had test servers set up in both the 2000 and 2005 environment so switching wasn't a hassle.

No comments:

Post a Comment